Why should I learn kdb+?
kdb+/q is an exciting programming language to work with. The performance coupled with the expressiveness of the language leads to productivity gains, production systems with lower maintenance overhead, and in general a very enjoyable programming experience. kdb+ programmers spend most of their time thinking about the problem they are trying to solve rather than unnecessary complexity introduced by some other languages.
What are the benefits of the online training course over a classroom course?
There are several benefits:
- The cost of our online training courses is significantly lower than any of the currently available public training courses in kdb+
- There is no need to hire a separate classroom space for the training
- A training coordinator’s time is not required
More effective Learning:
- Learners can proceed at their own pace and can return to a unit if they don’t understand a concept the first time around
- Learners complete self-assessment questions as they progress through the material. The quizzes allow a Learner to see where they have gone wrong and try again.
- The learning is not crammed into a 2- or 3-day window. Learning in shorter bursts can be more effective
- Learners can skip through videos covering material they are already familiar with and just answer the associated questions directly
- It is not always easy to find a quorum of attendees for a classroom training course at a time when training is required by certain users. Having to wait a month to get everyone together can cause project scheduling issues. The online training courses solve this issue
- Learning can be done at a time that suits the Learner. Learners will not be in a position where they get pulled out of the classroom to attend to a production issue and miss out on half a day of training
- Attendees for a training course are often in different geographical regions. It can be difficult to bring them all together or facilitate a course for everyone at a time that suits everyone over webex
- Learning is not dependent on the availability of the trainer and the training venue
Proof of Learning
- AquaQ’s online training engages the learner in the completion of self-assessment questions after each tutorial video. Upon completion of the Final Quiz, a Certificate of Completion virtual badge is awarded to those learners who attain sufficient scores.
- This certificate shows employers that their staff have truly learned from the course and not just clicked their way through the material, or attended a classroom course passively
How have the online training courses been designed?
AquaQ Analytics’ kdb+ instructors are some of the most experienced globally in the provision of classroom training courses. We have taken that experience and partnered with online learning experts Learnbase, to produce a best-in-class online training site for kdb+.
How can I schedule a classroom-based training course for my organization?
AquaQ Analytics continue to offer classroom-based training courses in kdb+ for clients. Please contact us for more information. Many of our clients like to have the online training site available to their users as a reinforcement tool once they have completed a classroom training course. Learners can go on to attain their Certificate of Completion through the online training site after attending the classroom training. This shows the employer that they have attained a certain level of understanding of kdb+ following on from their training. This is not something that is easy to verify after attendance at a classroom training course alone.
What can I do if I don’t fully understand a concept in the online training material?
You can still get help. Each lesson in the course contains a “Submit Feedback” section. Questions entered here will be sent to a kdb+ expert who will respond to your question. This course tutorial assistance remains available during the 8 weeks of access to the course material.
How much time should I spend working on the course? What should I do if I get stuck?
Each of the courses has an estimate of how long it takes to go through the video content listed below. However, in order to fully absorb the information covered during the course, it is suggested that the users complete all of the examples in the documents section which can take extra time. Following along in a Q console when watching the video is highly encouraged and it will help you answer the questions. It may also be helpful to re-watch the previous videos and attempt the exercises in the documents if you get stuck on a question.
If you continue to have problems with the course content, you can use the “Submit Feedback” option in the lesson workbook to ask any questions you might have.
This course contains approximately 2-3 days of video content that covers kdb+ from the ground up and should be appropriate for everyone regardless of previous experience. However, if you already have experience with kdb+, you may wish to complete the units more quickly! A suggested timeline for a user that has no experience of Q would be:
Week 1: Unit 1 to Unit 3
Week 2: Unit 4 to Unit 5
Week 3: Unit 6 to Unit 8
This course contains approximately 1-2 days of video content that covers querying and analysing data from an existing kdb+ database. It is expected that you know some of the basics of kdb+ (e.g. types and basic syntax) and are ready to jump into the more complex features. A suggested timeline for a user that has little experience of querying and analysis with Q would be:
Week 1: Unit 1 to Unit 3
Week 2: Unit 4
What if I am interested in procuring the AquaQ Analytics online training courses for a number of people in my organization rather than solely for myself?
Please contact us directly to discuss Enterprise Rates for our online training courses. We can assist you with a bulk purchase of course spaces or with an Annual Unlimited Course Access Agreement.
How long do I get access to an online training course for?
A course purchase gives you access to the video tutorials, self-assessment questions, email support and all additional material for a period of 8 weeks. The files available for download (tutorial slides, sample code and question & answer sets) are yours to keep and use for your own personal use once you have downloaded them within the 8 week period.
What are the minimum system requirements for the course?
Some of the coding example and self-assessment tasks involve the creation of databases of different sizes, and involve different in-memory operations. Although the examples can be reduced as required to fit your available disk space and RAM, you should aim to have 4GB of RAM and 20GB of free disk space. The examples can be run on Windows, OSX, Linux or Solaris using the free 32-bit version of kdb+. The minimum version of Internet Explorer we support is 10.
What other training material, resources and documentation has AquaQ Analytics put together that I might find useful?
What is the AquaQ TorQ Framework for kdb+?
TorQ is a free framework that AquaQ Analytics released to the kdb+ community recently. It forms the basis of a production kdb+ system by implementing some core functionality and utilities on top of kdb+, allowing developers to concentrate on the application business logic. We have incorporated as many best practices as possible, with particular focus on performance, process management, diagnostic information, maintainability and extensibility. TorQ incorporates a suite of processes which are required in the majority of kdb+ environments. TorQ vastly reduces the time-to-market of any kdb+ implementation. If you are considering implementing the TorQ Framework within your organization, please feel free to contact us directly to discuss further.
Tell me more about AquaQ Analytics’ service offering?
AquaQ Analytics Limited is a provider of specialist data management, data analytics and data mining services to clients operating within the capital markets and other sectors. Our domain knowledge, combined with advanced analytical techniques and expertise in best-of-breed technologies, helps our clients get the most out of their data. Areas of expertise include the following:
- Provision of kdb+ consultants to clients for support and development roles
- Provision of kdb+ training courses to clients – introductory and advanced levels
- Streaming data UI application development using .Net/WPF
- Development of bespoke trading systems
- Big Data implementations
- Data mining and predictive analytics services including SAS Analytics and R